What To Look For In Your Next Pilot Light
When it comes to pilot lights, there are a few must-have features that a flashlight shouldn’t skimp on. First and foremost, having an array of multicolored LEDs in addition to a variable white light is necessary. While in the cockpit of a plane, colored LEDs will preserve your night vision, and green is especially useful for reading labels and manuals in the dark should the need arise. When it comes to inspecting the cockpit and exterior of your plane between flights, a white light with a moderately bright output is a requirement. We’ve chosen two of favorite pilot lights below, but if you’re still unsure, we go over some other pilot light features in depth.
Great for Nighttime Flying
In addition to safety checks and nighttime flying, aviation flashlights may also be needed during an emergency. If for example, the cockpit fills with smoke, it is important that your light is easy to find and easy to hold. For this reason, our selection of flashlights for pilots has been limited to handheld and headlamp designs. Also, it is important to note that while a red output is the most commonly used during nighttime flights, it is suggested to also consider utilizing or employing a blue-green lens or LED as well. According to the FAA, "if a red light is used for reading an aeronautical chart, the red features of the chart with not show up." Aeronautical charts are required for nighttime flying and should be evaluated and prepared prior to your journey. For added versatility, you may want to consider one of our tri-color pilot flashlights that offer red, white and blue outputs. A removable filter may also be an adequate solution for your needs.
Keep it Powered
It is advised to keep a spare set of batteries with you while flying, in order to guarantee the aviation flashlight is ready for use at all times. For this reason, we recommend using alkaline batteries, as they are easy to find and replace, regardless of where your journey takes you. Or feel free to stock up on your supplies by browsing our selection of batteries here, at BatteryJunction.com!
- $24.95FREE SHIPPING Over $50 *
- Petzl Actik Core Rechargeable LED Headlamp - 600 Lumens - Includes 1 x Li-ion Core Battery - Grey, Blue, Green, or Red$74.95 - $79.95FREE SHIPPING Over $50 *
- $36.95 - $39.95FREE SHIPPING Over $50 *
- Nitecore NU43 USB-C Rechargeable Lightweight LED Headlamp - 1400 Lumens - Uses Built-in 3.6V 3400mAh Li-ion Battery Pack
- $34.95FREE SHIPPING Over $50 *
- Streamlight 14120 Sidewinder Compact Aviation Flashlight with C4 LEDs, Helmet Mount and CR123A Lithium Battery, Coyote
- $49.95 - $54.95FREE SHIPPING Over $50 *